Trustees - B Lab UK
Your Russam contact
Managing Partner – Charities
B Lab UK is looking for Trustees to join our board in 2022. As the reach and influence of the B Corporation movement grows, we are looking to develop the existing board to bring new and diverse voices and experience to bear on our mission to transform the economic system.
The B Corp movement is transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities and the planet, and B Lab UK sits at the heart of this movement, creating standards, policies, tools, and programs that shift the behaviour, culture, and structure of business.
The B Corp Movement
Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
B Corps form a global community of leaders and drive a global movement of people using business as a force for good. There are now over 4,000 B Corps in over 70 countries and covering 150 sectors. B Corps include Patagonia, The Body Shop, Kickstarter, innocent and Ella’s Kitchen.
B Lab UK
B Lab is the non-profit network transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities and planet. B Lab UK is a registered charity which was launched in 2015. Our purpose is to redefine success in business through building a community of engaged businesses, raising awareness of the B Corp movement and championing change in the UK economy.
Visit our website for more information https://bcorporation.uk/
The board is responsible for providing oversight and governance to B Lab UK and supporting the executive team’s leadership of the organisation and the B Corporation movement in the UK.
The board works in partnership with the Executive Director and the leadership team of B Lab UK.
The key roles of the board include:
- Oversee and contribute to development of the strategic direction of B Lab UK in pursuit of our mission
- Oversee the pursuit of B Lab UK’s charitable purposes
- Ensure the financial sustainability of B Lab UK
- Ensure compliance with regulations and law
We’re looking to appoint at least three new Trustees beyond the regular rotation of the board. These appointments will add new perspectives as well strengthening the diversity of the board.
Experience of board governance is not necessary. We will ensure full induction and training where necessary for all new Trustees.
Beyond the perspectives of each Trustee, we are looking for:
• Understanding of the role of a non-executive director or Trustee, its importance to the governance of an organisation, and the relationship between the board and executive team.
• Demonstrable passion for the role that business can play in creating a future that benefits all people and the planet.
Demonstrable experience gained from one or more of the following areas:
o Holding an executive or non-executive role in a large commercial business
o Holding a senior role in Financial Services, capital markets, or institutional investments
o Expertise in brand development, reputation, and strategy
o Campaigning, specifically in relation to influencing government policy
• Integrity and a commitment to B Lab UK’s values as an organisation.
• Commitment and a sense of stewardship for the B Corporation community and mission.
• Ability and commitment to contribute to the work of the board with skills and perspectives and with time both inside and outside regular meetings.
For the purposes of this recruitment round, B Lab UK welcomes people currently working in B Corps as well as those without direct experience with the B Corps Movement.
Please download the Candidate Information Pack for further information.
The B Lab UK Board meets quarterly for regular meetings. Additional meetings and board retreats are scheduled, amounting to no more than six meetings per year.
B Lab UK welcomes applications from a diverse range of backgrounds and encourage all who are interested in the work of the Charity to apply, including people from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds, people with disabilities, people from diverse educational and socio-economic backgrounds and people who identify as LGBTQ+.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please ensure you provide:
• A comprehensive CV, including your recent achievements, and the details of two referees.
• A supporting statement, addressing your motivations for applying. This should be no longer than one side of A4.
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and B Lab UK in the subject heading.
Closing date for applications: Friday 30th September 2022
Preliminary Interviews with Trustees Unlimited: w/c 10th October 2022
Interviews with B Lab UK: 24th and 25th October – B Lab Offices, London.
We look forward to receiving your application.