Global Finance Transformation Programme
As part of a larger Corporate Renewal Programme Serco embarked on a Global Finance Transformation (GFT) in part driven by a number of highly public contract failures and the need to demonstrate commitment to transforming the business and renew corporate reputation.
GFT was broad in scope covering all areas of Finance from People & Resource Model, Governance, Controls & Assurance, Reporting, Processes & Standards, Service Delivery, Systems, Data and Procurement.
Some of the key challenges were the upgrade of an outdated SAP solution and the need for a new Data Management model and organisation, lack of multi-year forward planning FP&A solution, a Target Operating Model that was not cost effective; all in the context of a change of senior leadership.
The Global Finance Transformation Director required a team of highly specialised consultants from the initiation of the programme through to delivery. It was important that the team had both seniority and an appreciation of the political environment and larger corporate renewal challenges.
Russam provided Programme Management resource as well as specialists in Payroll Analysis and SAP.
The solution focused on:
1. Programme Management:
- Fully integrated detailed Programme Plan across Programme workstreams including Finance Process Design & Business Architecture, People & Change Management, Payroll, SAP solution, PMO
- Establish Programme Governance including PMO, Processes and Procedures, Onboarding, Reporting, Financial management and KPIs
- Manage 3rd party suppliers, contractors and consultancies including Moorhouse, Serco Consulting, KPMG. Hiring of further resources including BAs and Finance specific workstream leads
- Support development of TOM
- Financial Management of the Programme
2. Payroll Workstream Programme Management and Analysis:
- Business Analysis to identify data gaps in payroll variable and human resources data with recommendations to mitigate and to reduce cost burden of existing Payroll delivery
- Optimize global Payroll and Time & Attendance systems
- Audit worldwide Payroll systems
- Develop strategic plan for consolidation and management of suppliers, and rationalization of varying technologies.
3. SAP Data Architecture
- Support Transition of existing Data Management Operating Model and Governance to new structure
- Manage the development and execution of all processes for the data objects in scope including:
– Extraction of data from the relevant SAP tables
– Mapping of old/new data objects
– Lead data cleansing activities with business and off shore resources including de-commissioning of legacy/retired codes
– Upload and reconciliation of data objects into SAP
– Provide tracking and statistics on progress versus plan of above
- Lead project team on best practice processes and procedures to manage and analyse data to identify data quality issues
- Manage partner resources and support teams (on and off shore) in delivery of work stream deliverables
- Integrated GFT Programme Plan
- Programme Governance Processes and Procedures established and managed
- Accurate Financial Management of the Programme within a very restricted financial envelope, staying on budget (multi-million pound programme of work)
- Communications pack for roadshows for all of Finance integrating TOM and key messages from Senior stakeholders; improving engagement scores on previous years
- Payslip Distribution Policy devised to move payslip distribution to more efficient method reducing costs by up to 25%
- Data Management for new SAP Finance structure including managing links and impact on associated structures / functions (e.g. HR, Procurement, Payroll, Business Development, Operational Project Management etc.)
“Russam scored highly as a trusted supplier and they provided the most experienced team. I could rely on the Russam associates to deliver with minimal supervision as they brought a wealth of experience and knowledge to my team.”
Gary Downes, Programme Director – Global Finance Transformation, Serco